Thursday, May 08, 2014

Microwave Recipe: Cream of Tomato Soup

I’ve always loved to experiment new creations, and being one who prefers hiding in the office than getting out there for lunch…well. Microwave food is always my best friend.

Even so, it’s not wise to consume frozen ‘fast’ food on a daily basis (as much as they’re lovely and convenient to have) so I decided to experiment out on some recipes in office. While some of you may or may not be able to work on these recipes in office, it’s definitely worth a shot!

Well anyway, one day, as I was trying to figure out what to have for lunch (always a headache, isn’t it?) I felt like having a nice bowl of soup. With pasta. And my favorite vegetables. So hmm…what would it be? Went down to Cold Storage to look for a suitable option, but found none. So I ended up experimenting a dish in office: Cream of Tomato soup (with macaroni, carrots, onions, and cherry tomato). And yes, this was done using a microwave. Cool eh? ;)

I’ve received some requests to share this recipe out, so here it is! Mind you, this was tailored to suit my tastebuds, so feel free to adjust or modify the ingredients/spices used according to your own taste eh?

P/S: I didn’t use any recipes for this. It was an impulsive cooking experiment on my end, but I like the results all the same =]

Ingredients:
 
I made this up for fun, but for the full list of ingredients have a look below k? ;)

  • One Carrot, sliced
  • One large yellow onion, sliced
  • Half cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • One cup pasta (elbow macaroni was used here)
  • Tomato puree, 100g
  • Thickened cream, 3 tbsp
  • Sugar, ½ tsp
  • Thyme (optional)
  • Black pepper (optional)
  • Water, 2 cups

  • Directions
    1. Combine the sliced carrots, onions, and two cups of water into a microwaveable bowl.
    2. Microwave the bowl for 3 minutes to soften the carrots & onions. Note: Skip this step if you prefer your vegetables to be hard and crunchy.
    3. Add the tomato puree, thickened cream, sugar, a pinch of thyme, and pasta into the bowl and stir.
    4. Microwave the concoction for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that the pasta’s evenly cooked.
    5. Remove bowl from microwave, dish out and enjoy your meal! J

    How it looks like when I plated it on a very small dish (for photography purpose)

    A yummy hearty meal at work! All done in a microwave =]



    ProTip: Prepare all ingredients beforehand at home if you really do want to cook this in office. Makes life so much easier too! :D


    Well there you have it, the random microwave recipe from me. Hope you enjoyed reading/experimenting this as much as I enjoyed concocting this up! ^_^

    2 comments:

    Psychokuukie said...

    I love that you can make such delish meals with an office microwave! Who would've thought! It's definitely a healthier and cheaper alternative to eating out every day.

    Thank you for sharing, Mel :)

    Unknown said...

    Thanks! I'm glad this helps and hopefully you'll enjoy the recipe just as much as I had enjoyed making this dish for lunch ^_^