Thursday, June 12, 2014

Recipe: Oil-Free Chicken Meatballs & Tomato "Minestrone" Soup

Cooking is fun, especially when you get to cook for yourself (and loved ones). For me, I cook for myself....for my office lunch the next day.

So every now and then, I'd ask myself what should I cook? Especially should I want something with less oil and salt? That's when I began experimenting and fooling around :)

This was my packed lunch a couple of weeks back. It was a part of my #LunchboxMonday challenge from Jewelpie.
A bowl of soup and some chicken meatballs. Yums?
Some of my friends had asked me for the recipe, and me being horrifyingly lazy, took quite a while to write up this recipe to post it out (cause I generally whip something up spontaneously without much thought about following recipe instructions or writing anything down lol). So here you go. Enjoy :)


Oil-free chicken meatballs



Ingredients
  • 200g minced chicken
  • ½ carrot, finely diced
  • ½ onion, finely diced
  • 2 bird’s eye chilli, finely diced
  • ½ teaspoon ground flax seeds
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ½ tablespoon oats (I used organic rolled oats, but instant oats are fine too)
  • 5-7 leaves of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
  • Salt & pepper for taste
  • ½ cube of chicken stock
  • 1 liter water


Directions
  • Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan & add in the chicken stock. Swill the concoction occasionally to ensure that the stock is fully dissolved in the water. This will be the light broth to cook the meatballs.
  • Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  • Using a spoon (or a melon scoop if you have any), scoop the mixture and make it as round as you can before gently lowering it into the boiling pan. 
    • *Protip* wet your utensil before each scoop to make it easier to pick up the mixture without too much hassle.
  • Depending on the size of the chicken balls, allow it to cook for about 2-3 minutes before scooping them out into a bowl.
  • And you’re done! Garnish your bowl of chicken meatballs with your favourite side salad and seasonings to complete the look.



Tomato “minestrone” soup


Ingredients
  • 1 stalk of celery, sliced
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 large yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 russet potato, cubed
  • 1 can of stewed tomatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ¼ tsp dry basil (optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 liter water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

Directions
  • Sauté cubed potatoes on a saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil. This is to ensure that the potatoes will not crumble easily when added into the soup later.
  • Add water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook it on high heat for about 10 minutes before reducing the flames to medium heat.
  • Continue to let it simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Remove bay leaves. Your  pot of soup is now ready to be served! :)

No comments: